RSS

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Spring is in the air....or is it?

So it's March already!  Amazing!  And in our neck of the woods, March definitly came in like a lamb.  It's been sunshiney and somewhat warm.  The snow is melting and mud puddles are growing.  And while it's still a bit chilly/damp and looks kind of muddy and mucky, I have to say I love this time of year!

I'm starting to plan out our garden again.  I can't wait to get my hands into dirt and start growing!  We're adding more footage to the garden again, so more plants and space to grow them.  I'm looking forward to seeing how our strawberries overwintered and whether the blueberry bushes will take off this year.  And we should get asparagus this year!  I've been drooling over seed catalogs the past few weeks and am getting ready to put in an order.  Of course, we can't plant for another three months or so (our last frost is around mid-May, zone 5), but one can plan and dream for a lot longer than that!

I also can't wait for it to be a wee bit warmer so I can start hanging out the clothes to dry.  Generally speaking, I do this from mid-March through mid-October.  If weather allows, even longer.  I love the smell of clothes fresh off the line.  And I love watching my wee things running down the rows of fresh washed laundry, playing.  If I had my way (and our basement was a bit drier), I'd hang things out year round.  Let them freeze on the line and then hang them in the basement to thaw and dry.  Imagine how fresh they would be!  Ahhhh!

Our chickens started laying again last week.  Thing #4 was so excited to have a fresh "eggie" that she held it and dropped it all over the floor and then started to cry.  Poor baby!  Some people have chickens that lay year round, but we started with a fresh batch in the fall as ours were getting old.  And we don't keep a light on them in the winter.  So the kids are so excited to run home after school and check for eggs now!  I'm looking forward to having more eggs than I know what to do with.  I love fresh, brown eggs - those white eggs from the store all winter just don't cut it!

The kids are ready to start jumping in puddles.  Ah, heck - so am I.  *laugh*  Maybe once it warms up into the 40's at least......

And I can't wait for it to warm up enough that I can open up all the windows of the house and air it out.  Get rid of that stale winter air.  Start some spring cleaning....continue with the decluttering and deep cleaning.  Finish painting the kitchen, wok on renovating the bathroom.....and probably a ton more projects that will come up!

Spring means a fresh clean start.  Spring means warmer air and mud puddles.  Spring means fresh eggs, veggies and air.  Spring means sunshine.  Spring is one of my favorite seasons.

I'm sure the sunshine won't continue forever.  I mean, it is only the beginning of March and I do live in Michigan.  But I'll take it when I can get it and live it to the fullest!

Just call me......Spring Dreamin'

1 comments:

Laura said...

We are doing the same things at our house! We are having to completely change what we are planting this year due to some food sensitivities but I'm excited about planting a lot of new things. Our chickens very suddenly started laying a bunch in the past week.

Post a Comment