RSS

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Celebration

Growing up in a family that was very active in the Scottish-American community and as a Highland Dancer, January 25th was always an important "holiday" in my life.  For those of you who don't know, January 25th is Robert Burn's Day - a day to celebrate the national poet of Scotland.



Now, as a grown-up with my own family, I like to incorporate parts of those traditions into our life.  However, I haven't danced at a Burn's Night supper in years (although I'm hopeful that my own dancers from my dance school will get to next year, maybe?).  And there is no way in heck that my kids are going to even try a piece of haggis, let alone eat an entire meal of it!  But I'd like to keep up the tradition.

Last night (the 25th) was a busy night for the CrazyLife family.  Dance class, typing up semester exams for Mr. CrazyLife, homework, dance practices, spelling words, baths, etc.  So we didn't get a chance to celebrate anything other than bedtime when everyone was in bed and the house was quiet!

Tonight, we'll be trying some things.  No haggis in our house - I won't eat it either!  But I do have some oatmeal scones, shortbread, and we'll have sausage with tatties and neeps (potatos with mashed turnip).  I want to read some poems with the kids and tell them about Robert Burns.  And of course, we'll put on some pipe music and do a Highland Fling or two! (a standard around our house any night of the week!)

And for those of you who would like to enjoy your own Robert Burn's celebrations, check out a few of these links for some ideas, recipes, poems and songs, and much more!

0 comments:

Post a Comment