RSS

Monday, June 21, 2010

Rhubarb Bread

I picked up this tasty recipe from my friend, Tina.  I had some rhubarb left over from the Farmer's Market a few weeks back that was just about past it's use.....we were on the phone and I was lamenting my lack of rhubarb recipes.  She shared this one and it's a keeper.  Even Mr. Crazylife can't stop eating this bread - and the wee monsters ate one entire loaf in the first day!

I see lots of possiblities with this bread as well...add some strawberry to it.  Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.  Bake in a cake pan like brownies....Change the topping......Yummo!

Enjoy!!

Rhubarb Bread

1 1/2 C Brown Sugar
2/3 C Shortening
1 egg
1 C Sour Milk*
1 tsp Baking Soda
2 1/2 C flour**
1 1/2 C finely diced rhubarb
1/2 C chopped nuts, opt.

Topping
1/2 C sugar***
1 TBS cinnamon

Mix together all bread ingredients.  Place in two well greased bread pans.  Top with topping mix.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  Enjoy!

*if you don't have sour milk, add 2 TBS vinegar to regular milk, mix well and let it sit for about 5 minnutes.  Voila!  Sour milk.

**the recipe called for white flour - I used wheat flour.  A little heavier, but still good.

***the recipe called for granulated sugar, but I used brown sugar and it was tasty!

0 comments:

Post a Comment