RSS

Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Laundry Limbo

Raise your hand if you *hate* laundry!!!

I do!!  I do!! I do!!!



Actually, that's not true.  I don't hate doing laundry.  I don't mind it. 
 What I hate is folding laundry and sorting all those socks!!

Anyhoo....I kinda sorta had a system set up.  I thought it would work. It worked all summer long.
And then school started back up.  And I was stressed.  And I didn't have enough time for anything.
And we were running constantly.  And and and and and.

So it's not working.

Ideally, I would like to dedicate one day each week to doing someone's laundry and one day for towels and sheets.  If we combine the girls' laundry and the boys' laundry, that means four days for clothing and one day for the other, leaving me exactly two days with NOTHING to wash except emergencies.

It's not working.  I'm doing at least two loads a day and not following any kind of schedule.  I start one in the morning before  leave for work.  Clean laundry ends up sitting in a basket outside the dryer for days before getting folded.  Folded laundry sits on a chair in the living for days before I get fed up waiting for someone else to put it away and do it myself.

Ugh.

So I need a new plan.
My mind is thinking.....
slowly....

I'm just not sure.  It seems like right now I end up doing most of the laundry in one day on the weekend, which is okay because it all gets washed, folded, and put away right away.  (except the sock....I HATE sorting socks!).  But it takes up the ENTIRE day.

What do do?


It all leaves me feeling a bit like the photo above.

So I'm devising a new plan.  Each of the children's rooms will get a hamper.  All dirty clothing will go into that hamper.  If it's on the floor, I'm not picking it up.  In our master bathroom there will be another hamper and one in the laundry room a well.  We also have one at the bottom of the stairs leading to the master bedroom, as Mr. Crazylife has a habit of changing his clothes immediately as he comes in the house and dropping his clothes wherever (early in our marriage, I had a laundry hamper in the KITCHEN just for him!)

Then I am going to set up a laundry board and hang it in the laundry room.  On this board will be a dry erase section for each day of the week.  Each person's name will go on one day and one day will be chosen for towels/sheets.  I'm hoping that this will help keep me accountable.  I'm also going to try to fold the laundry in the laundry room and set it on the counter there.  Ideally, I'd like a shelf of some sort with a basket for each person's clean clothes in there, but I'm not sure how to set that up yet.

Each person is going to have to be responsible for putting away folded laundry.  No more laundry will be done for a person if their clothes are not put away.  No more room means no more laundry.

And we'll ALL sort socks together!!!

What is your laundry routine?  Any suggestions or ideas for me that might help make it an easier task?

0 comments:

Post a Comment